The magical universe is just like the physical universe; it follows certain laws and has an order to it. These laws are discovered in the same ways the laws of the physical universe are found out. Observation, hypothesis, experimentation are the foundations for discovering and utilizing magical theory and putting them into application. Sometimes these laws are quite simple and mundane. Take for instance a job I had when I was 19. I was what was commonly called a “go-fer’” I would go for this and go for that, I worked at a shooting range and basically be in charge of repairs, cleaning, maintenance among many other duties to numerous to list. When business got slow I would sweep and mop the store front. That is when I noticed, the minute I had almost finished mopping business would boom. We would have not a single customer all day, but once I had almost finished mopping customers a plenty would rush through the door. So, if I applied this bit of magical insight and wanted customers I could mop the floors and in a sense this was a ritual to summon customers. While doing the daily things of life observe patterns and things that seem to repeat, that is where you can make the most simple ritual work for you. It goes without saying that this works on a macro-level scale as well, you can change the universe through the most simple of rituals by following prescribed rules and order.
But where do you discover these rules, laws and order? From within! As above, so below, as within so without. What is within you on the micro level scale corresponds to what occurs on the macro level scale which can feel like solipsism at times. An example of this that is more humorous than really useful is when I watched MST3K “Manos Hands of Fate” with my wife and told her, “You know what, Hollywood loves remaking really good movies because; hell, it’s easy! What they should really do is remake really bad movies (this being considered one of the worst movies of all time, up there with Plan 9…)” Sure enough almost a few months later I hear that Rob Zombie is planning a remake of the film (this was a few years back and it seems he has dropped the idea.) While this was not magical in the least (I had no real will behind anyone remaking such a bad film and on top of that I hate Rob Zombie movies) you probably have had experiences like this as well. You think of an idea and it occurs in some way, leaving you pondering where was the origin, did you manifest your will or did you receive a cosmic thought about a really crappy movie? Is there a difference?
1. As above, so below. As within, so without. By observation I discover how things change and manifest within me and my sphere which allows me insight on how to perform rituals that will cause change in the universe in accordance with my will. Mastery of this allows me to enact rituals within my mind that can cause changes in the world.
2. If I work with the laws of nature, the rules of magical correspondence then all of nature works with me in my goals. If I feel inspired to work magic that is a sign the universe is moving me and is working through me to produce results, I am an agent of the divine, my work is to bring about change, I am a medium of the divine mind and will.
3. My mind is connected to the eternal, my imagination is a reflection of the astral and mental realms, what I think and imagine is produced and moves things towards manifestation into the physical plane.
4. Everything I experience was once imagined and produced. This is magical. The chair I sit upon was once in the mind of another, that person manifested their will and imagination. This screen and computer which I am reading these words on is and was created and maintained by the wills and imaginations of many. There is nothing around me that was not shaped, crafted or made wholesale from the mind. Including myself.
5. The universe follows laws and order. These laws come from the mind of god which I am a part of. Nothing can break the natural laws and order but there is a near infinite amount of things that can be done within these laws and orders so that the universe manifests my desire. There may only be 7 colors in a rainbow and three primary colors but within those choices lie an infinite range of hues, shades and tones. Limitation gives rise to greatness.